Monday, May 13, 2013

Nostalgia

The end of the year is quickly approaching, and it's time to start retrieving my stuff out of my old classroom.  I left a lot of my belongings in the room for my long-term sub to use this semester, but she'll be teaching in another division next year and won't need them.  I'll still be teaching computers and living in an office while not teaching so I won't need a lot of them either.

I started with my student book library boxing up books that I will probably never use again, but I'm saving them till we see where my wife's career will take her once our daughter goes to school full time.  

As I started grabbing dusty books off the shelves and putting them in boxes, I couldn't help to be nostalgic. There is the Shel Silverstein book a student bought for me when she wore out my original copy. Oh, and a book I read as a boy. There is that book I read to my first class ever.  And, I think I'll bring this one home for my daughter... and ... well, you get the idea.

Long before I was the local technonerd, I was a language arts teacher and a lover of books. I spent many hours and many dollars building a massive classroom library for kids to read in their free time.  I love books!

I rarely read a physical book anymore.  Even my Bible is on my iPad now... but today made me nostalgic for the real deal again.  

Something about a bunch of pixels forming text that doesn't conjure up great memories like my stroll down the lane this afternoon. 

No comments:

Post a Comment