Thursday, January 12, 2012

iPad Training, Round 2

Last week, we had more iPad training at our school.  I was excited to hear that it would focus more in depth in how to integrate iPads into our teaching.  Here are some good ideas I walked away with.


  • StoryKit is a digital book creation tool.  You can type text, add pictures, draw pictures, and add audio.  The one drawback is that it's only viewed on StoryKit.  You can email a copy to your friends, but it won't be book like.  Here's my example from the Stamp Act. This version has less bells and whistles than what you would see on your iPad, but you get the idea.  
  • Popplets is a graphic organizer creator.  I love it!  It's more fluid than the software our school requires, and students can even insert pictures.  You'll see my example also from the Stamp Act here.  My link is the free version, but our school is going to use the paid version which has more capability like putting a popplet in Drop Box.
  • SonicPics helps you create stories using pictures and audio. I have the lite (free version) which only allows three pictures.  The paid version has more capability.  
  • ScreenChomp is an interactive white board.  You can start with a blank screen or a picture background.  Then you draw on the board and talk at the same time.  I told my social studies class about it, and they looked at me like I was crazy.  I told my advanced math class about it, and they looked at me like I was crazy.  I told my regular math class about it, and they got excited.  I think they are excited to have another way (verbal) to explain how their understanding of math procedures.  I have not had the opportunity to use it in class yet, but I will soon.  I've had kids play with it already and the enthusiasm is  obvious.
  • PhotoCard is a postcard app. I plan to do this on my next vacation. Take a cute picture of my daughter.  Put it on the app.  Write a neat note.  Email it out.  Cheaper and more personal than a real postcard.  However, this could be a good way to get a one short snippet of information out of a kid.  See my example below.

Funny.  I never was into professional development till someone handed me an iPad.  Now I love it! 

No comments:

Post a Comment