Tuesday, April 30, 2013

Paper Bloggin'

I don't remember when I first saw this idea, nor do I know where I saw it... but I've wanted to do it forever. To give my 6th grade students a visual indicator of what blogging looks like, you do it with paper, tape, and a wall.  I'll be the first to admit that a tree or two died in the midst of this lesson -- and I apologize for it.  Fortunately it wasn't ON Earth Day.

Here's what we did:

Step 1:

  • Each student was instructed to type a story and print it out.  There were no instructions on content or length just that they evidence effort.  
  • Grab some tape and tape it to a wall in the room

Step 2:
  • Read someone else's story.
  • Go back to your computer and type a multi-sentence response.  You have to be nice.
  • Print it.  Grab some tape. Tape it under the story.
Step 3:
  • Either repeat Step 2 or...
  • Read someone's comment about your story.
  • Go back to you computer and type a multi-sentence response to their response. You have to be nice.
  • Print it.  Grab some tape. Tape it under their comment.

There was much enthusiasm and enjoyment.  Kids were eager to share their writing and to read what others had to say.  I think they had fun.

Unfortunately, they had a grumpy teacher.  That normally happens when what I think are awesome instructions are misunderstood or bent.  It was hard to keep a lid on the goofy chit-chat.  

If I do this activity again, I'll tweak the instructions and be a bit more proactive about classroom management. :)


Enjoy the pictures of the paper blogs. 






No comments:

Post a Comment