Thursday, May 28, 2015

STEAM Academy

When I got home from work the other night, there was a letter on the dining room table waiting for me. It was from my daughter's school district superintendent.  After I got over the "oh no, what did she do now?" feeling that sunk into my gut, curiosity got the best of me.

My daughter goes to Summit View Elementary which is in the same building as a Summit View Middle School.  Same building, similar names, different schools.  However, the letter first said that they would actually dissolve the barrier and make it one Summit View Academy, preschool through 8th grade. (That thrilled me to no end, since she wasn't slated to go to that middle school originally.) 

However, the bigger news was that SVA will completely shift to a STEAM-based curriculum. Wow!  It was amazing the thoughts that dumped into my brain and swirled around in those first few moments. 
  • How cool is that?
  • My daughter is an avid reader. I'm so glad she'll get a technology and science emphasis.
  • My daughter is an avid reader. I really hope they don't ignore the language arts.
  • Maybe they are hiring?  Wait... I have a job. I signed my contract.  I love my job.  But, I would love to have a piece of that.
  • What a paradigm shift for those teachers.  Those first couple years will be rough sailing!
  • Do they need a Genius Hour teacher?  They could have Genius Hour as a special like computer, PE, art, etc.  Just saying.
In the end, I sent this tweet to her principal and superintendent.  

It will be interesting to see how things go from here, but I'm excited to see the prospects.  (Oh, and maybe my wife can get a teaching job there.)

I'll be sure to keep you posted.

No comments:

Post a Comment