Friday, February 24, 2012

US Westward Expansion

My fifth grade social studies class is starting a chapter on the westward expansion of the US.  So, I went on an app hunt and found US Westward Expansion.  It got good reviews, so I downloaded it and put it in my lesson plans.  After that I started playing it.  It's basic and factual.  It's lower level thinking, but it's a good review of the facts.  These kids struggle with the facts.  (In a recent test review I found that they didn't realize that we fought the British in the American Revolution.  I am ashamed as an educator. I'm glad we discovered it before the test.)

Today was their first time playing the game.  Once they got the hang of it, they didn't want to put it down.  Sometimes drill and practice is a good thing.

No comments:

Post a Comment